Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Coffee Cup

While working on a fishing boat in Alaska I had a coffee drinking coworker named Dave. Dave never washed his coffee cup. The cup had a thick, encrusted layer of coffee residue throughout the inside. Finally the cook, who was a neat freak (gotta like him), washed the cup when Dave wasn't looking. Consequently for the next month Dave complained about tasting soap in his coffee!

Jesus writes about the Pharisee's in Matthew 23:26, "You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too." (NLT) Like Dave, we are uncomfortable washing some areas of our "cup." Sure we want to be like Jesus, but it can be a challenge to our pride to make a necessary change, and the needed repentance that goes along with it. Ask the Holy Spirit to search the inside of your cup. SWC

2 comments:

Erik said...

Thanks for the new words to ponder! :0)

Anonymous said...

Pastor, this reminds me of one time a girl friend of my Granddaughter was going camping with us and she brought a very large thermos bottle. It had a coating from the coffee inside the thermos.
I am certainly not a clean freak, but I decided to clean out the thermos before we used it, never thinking they would be upset. It came out nice and clean but I suppose they never forgave me for how awful their coffee tasted after that.
I was ignorant about it changing the taste. Once a person gets a certain taste acquired, they do not appreciate the new one.
When I think about it, sometimes people supposedly become a Christian and then in a short time come to realize that a Christian should live a different life and they then decide they like the old way better. Sad but sometimes true. Jeanne J